Annual Valentine's Day Contest Winner!



We asked you to share a couple details about a hilarious tryst or a disaster date that you can laugh about now. Here is the winning entry:


This was a first date with a guy I matched with on hinge. Not my usual "type" but my friends encouraged me to give it a go and, to be fair, the pre-date chat did flow well. He invited me for a drink before a launch event he was co-hosting for his ethical juice company and new fashion venture. We went to trendy bar with big brown leather sofas, full of cool looking people, busily typing away on their macbooks or generally lounging around. The date was perfectly pleasant but I sort of knew there wasn't much romantic chemistry/connection there. After some interesting, big-picture debates on the state of the world, and after he finished booking a yoga class for the next morning (slots were hard to come by apparently), we got up to go. I didn't have a jacket but waited for him to put on his. As he turned his back towards me to put his arm into his sleeve, eight... yes, EIGHT, loose condoms went flying from his jacket, the individual white packages on full display, strewn across that big sofa. When I saw this, I was completely mystified (I mean, eight?! really?) and on the verge of laughing my head off because no one, not even my date, seemed to notice this absurd/hilarious/highly awkward situation. So as I'm suspended in this surreal moment, trying my best to hold in my laughter, he's still fiddling with his jacket, unaware of what was behind him...I had to interject with "I think you dropped something?" bringing to his attention his not-so-secret stash. He turned around, froze and then scrambled to retrieve his property. He was obviously embarrassed but I waited until he collected himself (and his condoms) so he could then deliver a devastatingly good ice breaker joke--because, after all, isn't laughing all you can do? Alas, he composes himself, looks at me with all seriousness, and asks "so what do you think about the global response to climate change?" (verbatim)...acting as if nothing just happened. Needless to say, I let out all my laughter on my solo way home.

- Anonymous
 

Comments

Popular Posts