Happy New Year ... my top moments of 2012

Wishing all of our friends and clientele a Happy New Year from BOTANY {floral studio}

Thank you for your continued support over this past year. I truly treasure the friendships made and
stories shared at our studio!

I took a brief vacation with family over the holidays! It was well needed and well spent! Now, we are back and busy as bees in the studio, with wedding consultations, bookings, and rearranging the studio with vintage goodies that I brought back from my vacation. And how fantastic to return to work with spring bulbs coming into season, especially hyacinths ... they are such a pleasant reminder that spring is really around the corner! And they smell so delicious!

Time to reflect back on this past year and many a joyous memory! My top ten moments of 2012 ...

1 - September! Although warned, I was surprised by the enormous amount of September weddings that take place in Toronto ... this month's wedding deliveries alone taught me how to navigate Toronto.

2 - Creating with plants. My absolute favourite was designing a ten foot tall instillation with mounted staghorn ferns ... it is fun to work on this large of a scale! I love when clients see the potential for us to do some creative plant projects, like planters, mounting plants, kokedama, and terrariums ... we did it all this year!

3 - Participating in springtime Bridal Shows, including the Wedding Co. Spring Show at the Drake Hotel and hosting our own Tea Party Bridal Event at our floral studio alongside Beautiful Images Photography.

4 - Styled photo shoots - Making friends, collaborating, and getting creative alongside some amazing talent, including Beautiful Images Photography, Sara Wilde Photography, and Contagious Design + Photography.

5 - We Heart Workshops! The DIY culture is taking storm and we gladly have offered flower and plant workshops over the past year! It is fun sharing our knowledge and love of flowers and plants with other enthusiasts! I tell everyone my favourite is the European Hand-Tied Workshop. This method of "twisting" flowers into a hand-tied bouquet is the most "hands-on" of any of our workshops!

6 - Our BFF {Botany Flower Fridays} Friday is always a busy afternoon for us. Manageable, but often chaotic! I really appreciate the many thanks we receive for offering premium floral bouquets at a discount ... it especially makes my heart sing when people buy flowers for themselves!

7 - On the cover of Weddingbells Magazine. One particular goal was for our floral designs to be featured on the cover of a major bridal magazine within the first year of opening our floral studio ... check!  Also amazing was being featured on blogs, like Weddingbells blogPaper Heart Wedding, The Wedding Co. blog, Pink Mafia blog, Munaluchi blog, B-Insider, and Sash & Satin blog.

8 - Farm life! It was a pleasure for us to meet growers, like the people at Scott's Barn; a lavender farm right outside of Toronto! Also a pleasure were the wedding set-ups we did in barns outside of Toronto. It brought me back to a slower prairie life that I miss dearly. I enjoyed one particular rainy day wedding set-up ... David laughed at me while I tromped around the farm in my rubber boots, a big yellow dog followed me around, as I filled up vases with a garden hose! Heaven!

9 - Teaching our son. David and I have a toddler boy. You may have met him, he sometimes visits me at the studio. We take him for nature walks and to the greenhouses, showing and telling him the names of plants and flowers. Our son likes to water plants, saying they need water to be happy. At times, I've caught him conversing with plants, which makes me giggle! When I take old flowers home from work, we sit on the kitchen floor with a vase between our legs. He holds, I cut, then he places the flowers in the water. I let him do whatever, no rules, and his arrangements usually look amazing because they are so uncontrived!

10 - Alicia Keys - I checked my inbox one morning to find an order from Alicia Keys and screamed for a good ten minutes.{My son joined in screaming and laughing, thinking my screaming was a fun new game!} This was definitely tops for me this year!


Comments

Popular Posts