Paper Heart Wedding Feature

Here is a little bit about us, what we do, and why we love what we do!

Botany was featured on Paper Heart Wedding ... For more of the convo and pictures go here.

This Toronto floral design studio is one of the most passionate about their work as you will find. Botany Floral Studio‘s love for all aspects of their work is certainly reflected in all of their incredible designs from bouquets to centrepieces. If you’re over in Toronto and planning your wedding, they are definitely worth dropping in for a visit. The lovely Rachelle tells us more about her fabulous creations below.


Describe Botany Floral Studio in a sentence:

Botany {floral studio} celebrates a love of flowers and all things botanical, things that are made by hand, and vessels that are antique and sweet.

Tell us about what you sell:

In the studio, we sell flowers, tropical plants, succulents, ferns, cacti, terrariums, terrarium supplies, cards, giftware, branches, mounted plants {staghorn ferns}, dried botanicals {lavender and mushrooms}, a variety of orchids, crafty items {crocheted cozies for mason jars and paper garlands}, random and rare oddities, and vintage and antique vessels.

We create custom flower arrangements and living planters for individuals and businesses.

What else goes on there?

We love weddings and have been booking steadily since opening last year! This is wonderful for me, because I love working with couples through the conceptual and creative process of planning their wedding flowers. There are usually consultations going on with walk-in client wandering about the studio.

We hold two floral/plant workshops monthly, usually on Saturday afternoons. Our hand-tied workshops being the most popular – this workshop focusses on the European twisting technique of gradually turning and adding single stems to form a round bouquet. I believe we go about our workshops a little differently than the rest. During our workshops, individuals have the freedom to pick and choose flowers and colours they prefer.  We allow individuals to work with their own design sensibilities. At the beginning of a workshop, I show by doing a demo, giving tips and such along the way, but there are no prescribed “flower models” and I let the individuals learn to trust their own creativity. We walk through all the flowers, naming and describing each one, after which I help each person on an individual basis working with the flowers, colours, and design of their liking.

We hold BFF {Botany Flower Fridays}. Every Friday afternoon from 3 to 6pm we offer 50% off all our cut flowers. We receive our main floral shipments on Thursday, so the product is fresh and stocked full. Why do we do this? A lot of people don’t buy flowers, especially for themselves because they feel they are too costly or a luxury item. We offer premium flowers at a corner store rate on Friday afternoons. For this special, we design custom bouquets and offer flower advise for our customers along with the discount.

How did it all begin?

I have been enamoured with flowers and plants from a young age. I had been working in the floral industry for over a decade, starting off in a small florist working part-time when I was a teenager and gradually refined my craft of floral design over the years.

It was when I was on maternity leave that I started dreaming about having my own flower shop. Having a child is a wonderful motivator, it forced me to really take a look at what I wanted and what I could accomplish. After starting our family, we wanted to move toTorontoto be closer to my husband’s family. So planning a business along with our move across the country went hand in hand. There have been a lot of beginnings for us – a child, a new home, and a new business … I am excited to see all of these grow over time!

What do you love about what you do?

I love the consultation process. Weddings take a lot of time, love, and detailed planning. There are a lot of back and forth emails and calls which I don’t mind at all. I love building relationships with couples and conceptualizing florals to suit their wedding and budget.

I love flowers. Hands down the best part of working in a floral studio is having time to stop and smell the roses.

I love new flower and plant varieties. Whenever I see something unusual that grabs my attention I grab it, because I want to show it to everyone! And our clients appreciate random and unique flower, plant, and giftware finds as much as I do!

I love people. I love meeting, talking, and building friendships with people. This is the best part of the retail aspect of studio life for me.

Comments

Popular Posts